Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Tale of Two Raptrors

One thing I love about living in Spain is being able to see good birds of prey without too much difficulty, even here in Valencia & Alicante. During the Winter months it is fairly easy to catch up with Bonelli's, Booted & Golden Eagles, Griffon Vulture, Marsh Harrier, Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Peregrine and Eurasian Kestrel, plus chances of Hen Harrier, Red Kite and Merlin. Not bad for one of the most populated areas of Spain.

In addition to this there is at the moment a (1st year) Greater Spotted Eagle from Estonia over-wintering on El Hondo nature reserve. How do I know it's from Estonia you ask?, well it is one that has been radio tagged in the nest and tracked all the way here. If you want to read more follow this link go to http://rarebirdspain.blogspot.com/2009/01/el-guila-moteada-tnn-inverna-en-el.html. This is the third year running we have had one of these fabulous aquila eagles staying in the area.


So getting to my two raptor stories the first happened the day before yesterday and while playing with my two boys on the paseo a Merlin shot through after the sparrows. It was so noticable my youngest son said "wow that was just like a small missile". The second was yesterday as I took some friends to Alicante Airport I was just north of Benidorm and a large raptor flew across the motorway and out over the Med. I suspected a Bonelli's Eagle. I returned an hour later it was still there and this time giving better views as it flew parallel to the vehicle and sure enough it was a young Bonelli's Eagle. Two great raptors seen in fairly atypical situations, as I said it shows just how rich Spain is in Birds of Prey. Long may it continue.



No comments: